Re: [patch 00/54] [Announce] Microsoft Hyper-V drivers for Linux

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 17:24:33 EST

On Monday 2009-07-20 18:00, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

>I'm happy to announce, that after many months of discussions, Microsoft
>has released their Hyper-V Linux drivers under the GPLv2. Following
>this message, will be the patches that add the drivers to the
>drivers/staging/ tree, and a whole bunch of cleanups.
>
>It's taken a long road to get here, and I'd like to thank the following
>people who made this possible:
> - Steve Hemminger for the initial prodding and extreme patience
> - Hank Janssen for providing the code and working with me to get it
> into a workable and semi-mergable state. His involvement within
> Microsoft was also invaluable.
> - Sam Ramji for his push within Microsoft to make this happen in a
> manner that works with the Linux community.
> - Novell for sponsoring my work on the Linux Driver project, without
> which, this would not have even been possible.

(Your title as Maintainer of Crap has been well earned. But crap
should not be maintained, it should be improved.)

I took a random patch to look at
(add-the-hyper-v-virtual-network-driver.patch to be precise). I think
the /hv/ subdirectory name should be expanded a little (to, say,
/hyper-v/); we're not in the Unix days anymore where space is at such
a premium that people even strip the last e off /usr. Our wireless
drivers also don't live in /wl/. And since hv does not seem to be
related to a hypervisorÂâ cf. sunhv.c.

As for the codeâ I was immediately greeted by the screaming-uppercase
typedef crap jungle that is so redundant[1] yet typical in many
commercial products. One may hope that the evolution of the posted
hyper-v code brings a coding strategy breeze into the house of
Microsoft.

[1] DWORD they could have replaced by uint32_t once it became
available via C99's stdint.h. The LPCSTR crap only makes sense if you
are a lazy typist, but I would not call code doing things like LPCSTR
clean. At least it's one thing - consistent. Consistently hard to
read, though.