Re: [link@miggy.org: Re: [patch 2/8] personality: fix PER_CLEAR_ON_SETID(CVE-2009-1895)]

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jul 19 2009 - 15:49:01 EST

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009, Athanasius wrote:

> Would you agree that having these features default-off would be best?

I'm actually pretty sure that some glibc versions in particular have
actively used some of the personality bits.

I have this fairly clear memory of seeing 'personality()' system calls in
strace output from regular programs.

I just tested it, and I'm not seeing it in my current distro for normal
programs, but the point is, I'm pretty sure that we have real binaries out
there that depend on personality bits.

So we can't default-off the whole personality thing. We would have to
default-off just a subset of the bits. Would that be useful? Perhaps.

Linus