khttpd fate

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 21:24:27 EST

I was reviewing khttpd [1] history [2], and the last I see is it was
merged for the 2.4 kernel with enthusiasm. I don't see any information
about this for 2.6 though, nor can I find any other notes about why
this was removed. Just curious if someone recalls why it was removed.

Also, I really hate how trolly this questions sounds but here it goes anyway:

Such userspace-kernel hacks shouldn't be necessary anymore based on
'performance/latency' arguments right? I take it khttpd wasn't serious
but more of a hack for fun and now we should be able to laugh about
it?

[1] http://www.fenrus.demon.nl/
[2] http://lwn.net/2001/0118/kernel.php3

Luis