Re: [RFC patch] delete improper hot pluggable code of memory affinity

From: Yasunori Goto
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 02:21:15 EST

> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Yasunori Goto<y-goto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Without a fix like my proposal, I have seen NUMA configure disabled by
> >> kernel (due to the code the patch deletes) on a system with Enabled
> >> bit set , and Hotplug-able bit cleared, and
> >> CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTPLUG_SPARSE disabled.
> >
> > Ok. I guess that save_add_info() was to check percentage of
> > reserve area when CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTPLUG_RESERVE is set.
> > Its code was removed at 2.6.25, save_add_info() may be garbage now.
> >
> > However, I have one question now.

> > I don't understand why you remove this code. could you tell me why?
>
> Good question. This is exactly the place I'm puzzled too.
> Without delete this code, I still see one fake node instead of 4 real node...
> I think a flow up patch is needed here...

In my understanding, here is for the case when the SRAT entry is enabled,
but memory is not connected. (This is why I sent the first mail).
However, here may have a bug yet.

I would like to test here, but I don't have a real x86-64 machine which can
hot add memory. So, I can just guess now.

Anyway, thanks for your notification. If you have progress about it,
please let me know.

Bye.

--
Yasunori Goto