Re: 2.6.31-rc2: thinkpad boots with backlight low

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 20:06:31 EST

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> Ok, after compiling it as a module and trying a few variations, it
> seems that on my X41 Tablet only brightness_mode=2 works, that is
> TPACPI_BRGHT_MODE_UCMS_STEP.

Ok...

> This is contrasted by thinkpad_acpi.c which states:
> |if (acpi_evalf(ec_handle, NULL, "HBRV", "qd"))
> | /* T40-T43, R50-R52, R50e, R51e, X31-X41 */
> | brightness_mode = TPACPI_BRGHT_MODE_ECNVRAM;
> |else
> | /* all other IBM ThinkPads */
> | brightness_mode = TPACPI_BRGHT_MODE_UCMS_STEP;
>
> So TPACPI_BRGHT_MODE_ECNVRAM looks broken somehow?

Does the brightness change if you mess with /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness ? If
it doesn't, then it means your thinkpad doesn't use the EC to control
brightness.

And that will, of course, cause the driver to set the brightness in NVRAM to
zero (but it *should* do so for shutdown as well, not just machine-restart.
You may have uncovered two bugs, not just one), which will be honoured by
the BIOS on the next reboot/power up.

> I assume that the autodetection finds the HBRV acpi function and
> selects the former, resulting in a not working backlight control.

Yes.

Please send me by private mail the output of acpidump and dmidecode (so that
I will have them both in the same place). I will blacklist your thinkpad to
force TPACPI_BRGHT_MODE_UCMS_STEP.

I wonder if other Intel GMA900 thinkpads also need this blacklisting,
though... this is the first report I got about HBRV not being good enough.

Henrique Holschuh