kmemleak reports

From: Kevin Winchester
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 19:28:22 EST

Hi Catalin,

I have noticed a few kmemleak reports being sent to LKML in the last few days, and I could chime in with mine, if you wish:

kmemleak: 97 new suspected memory leaks (see /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak)

The entries are for X, ntpdate, scsi_scan_2, softirq, swapper, in case there's anything surprising in there.

However, I was thinking that you might soon start getting too many reports to process. I wonder if there might be some way that you could have a similar facility to kerneloops that would automatically register leak reports to a website where they could be organized and ranked by number of occurrences. Are the individual leaks reported in such at way that would allow them to be grouped like that?

If a kerneloops-style setup is not desirable/feasible, would you be able to send me a walkthrough for how you go about tracking down one of these leaks? Then I might be able to help out by investigating a few of my own.

Thanks,

--
Kevin Winchester