Re: possible regression with pty.c commit

From: Sergey Senozhatsky
Date: Mon Jul 13 2009 - 12:39:14 EST

On (07/13/09 12:48), Alan Cox wrote:
> > Alan, I forgot to tell - I'm using KDE 3.5.9 (3.5.10). Don't know whether this can be reproduced with KDE 4.x.x.
>
> Dumping out the traces tty side the tty code appears to be
> working correctly. The userspace on the other hand appears broken and to
> only work by chance with the old code.
>
> For one it wants for new output to appear before checking for "Password:"
> and in doing so consumes any partial output it receives without checking.
> I suspect it should be doing line += more
>
> One for the KDE people as its not the kind of thing we can fudge back
> kernel side if my diagnosis is right.

Hello,
Sorry for delay. d945cb9cce20ac7143c2de8d88b187f62db99bdc is not the first bad commit as I've managed to make
kdesu work simply adding some senseless instructions to pty_write_room(). Anyway.

As for kdesu, it's obvious that kernel should be free from code that simply makes some buggy user space
programm working (even one that was working for years until 2.6.31).
Lots of versions could be affected (4.a.b, 3.c.d, ...) and I'm just not sure that all of them will be
updated ( not all, but popular ones. like 3.5.x ). We'll see.

Thanks,
Sergey