Re: compat ioctl32 for /dev/snapshot?

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Mon Jul 13 2009 - 02:51:26 EST

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Sunday 12 July 2009, Michael Tokarev wrote:
As I mentioned in my first email, I'm not the right person to
do the patch. But regardless, I spent about a day understanding
this stuff (or trying to, anyway) - 100% useless day - and when
I thought I have a patch someone else spoken up and said this
way (compat_ioctl) is the wrong approach now. And sent another,
also trivial patch, adding compat calls right to the proper
place in kernel/power.c. Which (the patch) has been ignored
too.

I never got a reply from you saying whether or not the patch
I sent actually worked. If you or someone else can confirm it,
I'll resend with the fixes you mentioned.

In order to (try to) check if it works or not, another userspace
component has to be fixed to support 32/64 bit mode. It's uswsusp,
which currently assumes swap space structures are all 32bits. So
it isn't possible to immediately check if it works or not -- just
ioctl(s) aren't enough. Complete fix (kernel+user space) requires
both, fixing all remaining (yet unknown) issues in old and new
code on the way.

For now, I think it's best to let Pavel or Rafael to decide what
to do with all this.

Thanks!

/mjt