Re: what means "module_param(channel_mask, channel_mask, 0644)"?

From: Robert P. J. Day
Date: Sat Jul 11 2009 - 07:09:48 EST

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> researching my next newbie column about module parameters and i
> ran across the following:
>
> drivers/input/misc/ati_remote2.c:module_param(channel_mask, channel_mask, 0644);
> drivers/input/misc/ati_remote2.c:module_param(mode_mask, mode_mask, 0644);
>
> i have no idea what it means to have the second (type) field of
> module_param() simply repeat the name of the parameter. is this
> some strange magic? those two names don't *appear* to be typedef'ed
> anywhere i can see.

i should have added that the reason i ran across this was that i was
curious if anyone was using User Defined Parameter Types as explained
here:

http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=linux-kernel:module_parameters

so i did a quick grep for any invocations of module_param() whose type
wasn't one of the standard int, boot, short, ... etc ... and those two
hits above showed up, which confused me.

so ... *is* anyone taking advantage of user-defined module parameter
types? not as i can tell, but maybe i just missed it.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday
"Kernel Newbie Corner" column @ linux.com: http://cli.gs/WG6WYX