make xconfig fails on Fedora 10 for 2.6.30

From: Wayne Pollock
Date: Fri Jul 10 2009 - 18:16:08 EST

The "make xconfig" command tried to link to "libXi.so".
I think this is actually a kernel bug; the binary this
make command builds should try to link to some "soname"
such as "libXi.so.6" instead, shouldn't it?

The work-around was to manually create the missing symlink
for "libXi.so". I suspect other distro's install that
symlink automatically so maybe that's why the bug was
not discovered. But I believe it is correct to say all
applications should use a soname (including the major
version number), and not just the "linker" name (the
name ending in ".so" with no version numbers).

Or am I missing something?

--
Wayne Pollock