Re: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Fri Jul 10 2009 - 17:44:36 EST

tridge@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Jamie,
>
> > I think it's ok to break that compatibility if dualnames is off,
> > because that's unfortunately the best available compromise.
>
> You probably noticed this, but the patch that has been put in only
> changes the shortname setting when dualnames is off.

Yes, I noticed.

What I mean is if I do this, with your patch active:

mount /dev/sdb -t vfat -o shortname=mixed

(or shortname=lower, or shortname=win95), then it's wrong to override
my shortname request "shortname=mixed", because my request means "I
need lower-case names to _appear_ lower-case on something with Windows
95-like behaviour.

When dual names cannot be created, if I specify any shortname= option
except shortname=winnt, I'd rather create a long name entry for
lower-case 8.3 names than a short name.

That's why dualnames off should change the *default* to
shortname=winnt, but not override an explicit shortname= option.

With dualnames on, the default should be shortname=mixed because that
has wider compatibility, and it's like the old Linux default when
creating names.

-- Jamie