Re: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions

From: Martin Steigerwald
Date: Thu Jul 09 2009 - 18:24:13 EST

Am Donnerstag 09 Juli 2009 schrieb David Newall:
> Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > If someone really wants a patch to corrupt their filesystems they
> > know where to find it.
>
> No need for pettiness. Andrew's already intimated that he's still
> working the patch, and he's a very clever lad and knows if it corrupts
> it needs more work.
>
> What I don't understand is how anybody could be satisfied with the
> status quo. We cannot leave vfat unchanged, for that will perpetuate a
> pool of victims to be sued, and Linux loses credibility every time that
> happens. Something *must* change.
>
> What is especially attractive about Andrew's position (he said this
> more eloquently than me) is that developing a solution to avoid the
> patent will impact Microsoft revenues; and that will be most
> instructive to them. That's almost sufficient reason by itself!

Pardon me, but I just don't get how adapting software to software patents
will contribute into solving the problems they cause. Instead of
implementing a feature like long name + short name support straight
forwardly and simply one has to invent utterly complex, error prone and
ugly work-arounds that actually even limit the functionality. Actually I
do not envy Tridge for doing that job.

To me it seems that Microsoft has won if it can get Linux kernel
developers to cripple the upstream vanilla kernel in order to avoid
software patents. If it can get Linux kernel developers to accept a patch
that if activated limits interoperatibility and compatibily with uncounted
implementations of the one and only widely spread multiplatform and
multidevice data exchange filesystem out there currently. If it can get
Linux kernel developers to accept a patch that if activated actually risks
more bugs and errors and thus makes the implementation less reliable than
before.

To me it seems challenging the FAT standard by a modern replacement would
still be the best way to go. Any hours wasted into a patch like
CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES IMHO should be better spent with thinking about
and implementing a replacement filesystem. Of course everyone is free to
spend their time as they wish, but thats my oppinion.

The legal action of Microsoft against TomTom seems to create fear,
uncertainity and doubts once again. And giving in to that IMHO would mean
that Microsoft had already (partly) won.

Microsoft sued only TomTom regarding FAT patents upto now. Why? If they
acted like SCO they would have gone against IBM, big Linux distributors
like Novell and especially against several companies at once. I think this
might be cause that Microsoft just knows that their software patent claim
would break down if really tested. I do think that Microsoft does not want
those FAT patents to be tested in court. Cause I think they know they
would not stand a chance.

Accepting such a patch IMHO would help Microsoft to get away with seeding
fear, uncertainity and doubt and not having the software patent tested and
be made void. Actively adapting to software patents gives them a place to
be, gives those who support them your energy.

Actually I think just ignoring them would be better. Don't give your
energy to software patents. Ignore them and only defend were attacked
unless the world sees how ridiculous they really are. TomTom can remove
long name FAT from the Linux kernels they use to defend themselves if they
can't stand the trial. This would be defending where necessary. Putting a
patch in upstream Linux kernel would just be overreacting. Microsoft did
not yet attack the upstream Linux kernel. And I think they won't. At least
when they act rational. Thus IMHO there is no need to even think about
adapting it.

And I think its not the job of the upstream kernel to protect companies
that can not stand a patent trial or do not like to stand it. Its open-
source. They can remove parts of it.

Shall Microsoft attack IBM or other big companies. Shall Microsoft attack
big Linux distributors. Shall they attack the upstream Linux kernel -
however, I can't imagine an easy way to do that. Shall they ruin their
image completely - the did quite well on that with Vista already. Don't
help them not doing that. If Microsoft lawyers so desire let them go and
make Microsoft a parody like lawyers of SCO managed to do.