Re: OOM killer in 2.6.31-rc2

From: John Stoffel
Date: Thu Jul 09 2009 - 16:42:37 EST

>>>>> "Gene" == Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Gene> On Wednesday 08 July 2009, Wu Fengguang wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:15:15PM +0800, Wu Fengguang wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 11:42:07PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
Gene> [...]
>>> I guess your near 800MB slab cache is somehow under scanned.
>>
>> Gene, can you run .31 with this patch? When OOM happens, it will tell
>> us whether the majority slab pages are reclaimable. Another way to
>> find things out is to run `slabtop` when your system is moderately loaded.

Gene> Its been running continuously, and after 24 hours is now showing:

Just wondering, is this your M2N-SLI Deluxe board? I've got the same
board, with 4Gb of RAM and I haven't noticed any loss of RAM from my
looking (quickly) at top output.

But I also haven't bothered to upgrade the BIOS on this board at all
since I got it back in March of 2008. No need in my book so far.

> uname -a
Linux sail 2.6.31-rc1 #6 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 24 21:40:33 EDT 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

> cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 3987068 kB
MemFree: 170608 kB
Buffers: 355272 kB