2.6.30 oops with acpi/button

From: Stephen J. Gowdy
Date: Thu Jul 09 2009 - 04:59:51 EST

Hi Len & Bjorn,
I've not had time to go back to it but with 2.6.30 I get an oops when I close the lid on my HP Compaq 6910p laptop. I see you removed some null pointer checks.. perhaps tha tis why? Here is the oops extracted from my log file. If you want me to test a patch let me know. I'm about to try 2.6.30.1 but I don't see anything in the ChangeLog that is likely to make a difference.
I've gone back to 2.6.29.4 where it is fine. I tried unloading the "button" module first but in that case my laptop locked up without an oops. No flashing num/caps lock or anything, just froze when I close the lid. The version of button.c from 2.6.29.4 doesn't compile in the 2.6.30 tree;

drivers/acpi/button.c: In function ʽacpi_button_add_fsʼ:
drivers/acpi/button.c:203: error: ʽstruct proc_dir_entryʼ has no member named ʽownerʼ
drivers/acpi/button.c:208: error: ʽstruct proc_dir_entryʼ has no member named ʽownerʼ
drivers/acpi/button.c: In function ʽacpi_button_initʼ:
drivers/acpi/button.c:525: error: ʽstruct proc_dir_entryʼ has no member named ʽownerʼ

Any ideas?

regards,

Stephen.

--
|Stephen J. Gowdy | CERN Office: 8-1-11|