Re: can we move USB_DEVICEFS to non-embedded?

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Jul 08 2009 - 11:48:34 EST

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 11:12:58AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Greg KH (gregkh@xxxxxxx) said:
> > > So that could be related to what you're seeing.
> >
> > That file is now available in /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices if you
> > really need it.
>
> How is a deprecated-but-stable filesystem ABI better than a guaranteed-to-
> not-be-stable debugfs ABI?

The filesystem is still there, it is just accessed differently (through
/dev nodes) and has been for many years now.

We depreciated the filesystem access because it causes lots of confusion
for users.

The devices file has been full of races and can't be fixed in a sane
way, which is why we moved it to debugfs. I am very surprised that your
boot process relies on it.

thanks,

greg k-h