Re: [git pull] drm: previous pull req + 1.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 15:44:31 EST

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:

> What if we only guaranteed that the framebuffer is mapped when it's
> showing on the screen?

I think that works ok. We only care about printk being immediate in that
case, and if it gets buffered I don't think we care.

> printk doesn't need to write to the framebuffer immediately when X
> isn't running (since the framebuffer isn't shown) and presumably the
> framebuffer needs to be pinned somewhere when it's being displayed
> anyway. This would involve fbcon knowing how to buffer text to be
> shown later so that printk still works in interrupt context.

But doesn't fbcon do that _anyway_ for VC switching?

(I've tried to stay out of fbcon, and have traditionally personally always
preferred just regular VGA text mode, so I really have no clue about the
internals).

Linus