Re: [tip:perfcounters/core] perf_counter: Simplify and fix taskmigration counting

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Jun 19 2009 - 07:59:52 EST

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 11:52 +0000, tip-bot for Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> Commit-ID: e5289d4a181fb6c0b7a7607649af2ffdc491335c
> Gitweb: http://git.kernel.org/tip/e5289d4a181fb6c0b7a7607649af2ffdc491335c
> Author: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx>
> AuthorDate: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:22:51 +0200
> Committer: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
> CommitDate: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:43:12 +0200
>
> perf_counter: Simplify and fix task migration counting
>
> The task migrations counter was causing rare and hard to decypher
> memory corruptions under load. After a day of debugging and bisection
> we found that the problem was introduced with:
>
> 3f731ca: perf_counter: Fix cpu migration counter
>
> Turning them off fixes the crashes. Incidentally, the whole
> perf_counter_task_migration() logic can be done simpler as well,
> by injecting a proper sw-counter event.
>
> This cleanup also fixed the crashes. The precise failure mode is
> not completely clear yet, but we are clearly not unhappy about
> having a fix ;-)

I actually do know what happens:

static struct perf_counter_context *
perf_lock_task_context(struct task_struct *task, unsigned long *flags)
{
struct perf_counter_context *ctx;

rcu_read_lock();
retry:
ctx = rcu_dereference(task->perf_counter_ctxp);
if (ctx) {

spin_lock_irqsave(&ctx->lock, *flags);
if (ctx != rcu_dereference(task->perf_counter_ctxp)) {
spin_unlock_irqrestore(&ctx->lock, *flags);
goto retry;
}
}
rcu_read_unlock();
return ctx;
}

static struct perf_counter_context *perf_pin_task_context(struct task_struct *task)
{
struct perf_counter_context *ctx;
unsigned long flags;

ctx = perf_lock_task_context(task, &flags);
if (ctx) {
++ctx->pin_count;
get_ctx(ctx);
spin_unlock_irqrestore(&ctx->lock, flags);
}
return ctx;
}

Is buggy because perf_lock_task_context() can return a dead context.

the RCU read lock in perf_lock_task_context() only guarantees the memory
won't get freed, it doesn't guarantee the object is valid (in our case
refcount > 0).

Therefore we can return a locked object that can get freed the moment we
release the rcu read lock.

perf_pin_task_context() then increases the refcount and does an unlock
on freed memory.

That increased refcount will cause a double free, in case it started out
with 0.