Re: [GIT PULL v2] Early SLAB fixes for 2.6.31

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Jun 16 2009 - 11:59:24 EST

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:12:58AM -0400, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
> > There aren't too many significant code simplifications AFAIKS.
>
> The code simplification comes from the ability to run the same code during
> boot that is also running when the full system is operational. I thought
> the intend of this whole exercise was to avoid special casing as much as
> possible and reduce the amount of code specifically duplicated for boot
> situations?

That is one of the advantages, yes. As far as I can see though,
there isn't like *huge* amounts of things you can simplify. And
if it is just a matter of removing a few branches from a few
cold paths, then it isn't necessarily a good reason to push
branches into the slab and page allocators.

I'm not saying we definitely should go one way or the other, I
would just like to wait and see.