Re: -git tree build failure in drivers/net/cnic.c: undefinedreference to `ip6_route_output'

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Jun 13 2009 - 02:43:21 EST

* James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 16:51 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> > From: Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:43:48 -0700

> > > I just posted a patch for this to netdev and it was acked by its maintainer.
> > > Patch is below.
> >
> > I was hoping the scsi folks, or Linus directly, would pick this up.
>
> I can, but my first tree's just gone ... the next one won't be
> going until nearer the merge window.

The thing is, this driver has been submitted 4 days ago, merged by
you 3 days ago and sent upstream two days ago. It has two build
breakages so far, the first one of which triggered on a pretty
common config too.

If you have time for such speedy integration but then dont have time
to test on common configs and dont have time to follow up on and
fix/merge the (pretty much inevitable) upstream breakages you
introduce and get the fixes to Linus, sending prompt fixes next-day
preferably, out of your usual schedule, it would be a better
solution for you to submit new drivers to the staging tree i think -
which does have the capacity to fix and merge such stuff.

Ingo