Re: [GIT PULL] Performance Counters for Linux

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 15:59:29 EST

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:06:55 -0700 (PDT)
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You haven't actually looked the real problem in the eye, and acknowledged
> the disaster that is oprofile. Let's give a _new_ approach a chance, and
> see if we can avoid the mistakes of yesteryear this time.

+1, metoo.

We've had numerous problems in the past where kernel developers have
shied away from altering or distributing userspace code. One effect of
this which we see again and again is that people shove presentation and
parsing code into the kernel which should have been in userspace.

It could be that shipping userspace code in the kernel bundle will
improve that situation. So let's give it a try. If it turns out to be
good, let's do it again. If it turns out to be bad, let's move perf
out of the kernel tree and not do it again.