Re: [GIT PULL] Performance Counters for Linux

From: David Newall
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 14:39:06 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I note (once more) how _nobody_ has actually been able to accept the
> fact that oprofile was an abject failure as it was split up. Instead, you
> all dance around totally irrelevant issues.

Not I. I'm totally comfortable with your decision, even though it seems
counter- to your own stated policy.

While I'm still unable to help noticing things, nobody seems to have
presented an argument that user-space and kernel-side will need to be
developed together. There's been an obvious assumption, with oprofile
given as that assumption's poster-boy, but why that should be the case
for tools/perf remains unclear. Probably the reasons are so obvious that
they go without saying, but as a disinterested observer, it seems to me
that in this case the two sides really are quite separate and
independent in a very real sense. Perhaps in the same sense that acct
and quota are.