Re: [patch 0/5] Support for sanitization flag in low-level pageallocator

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 11:03:25 EST

On Sun, 31 May 2009 07:38:26 -0700
Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Really, get a life, go fix real bugs. Don't make our kernel slower
>
> the "make it slower" is an assumption on your part.
> I'm not convinced. Would like to see data!

btw if the performance difference is basically a wash (as I'm
suspecting), then we SHOULD do zero-on-free, just out of general
principles.

Ingo mentioned the kernel stack, and that's a good point, we ought
to have a way to zero the rest of the stack inside the kernel, at
which point you could do things like providing a command line option
(or sysctl?) to call that from the munmap codepath or so...
(after all there you do a tlb flush and other expensive things as well)