Re: [patch 0/5] Support for sanitization flag in low-level pageallocator

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 18:14:35 EST

* Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> * Larry H. <research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Have you benchmarked the addition of these changes? I would like to
>>> see benchmarks done for these (crypto api included), since you are
>>> proposing them.
>>
>> You have it the wrong way around. _You_ have the burden of proof here
>> really, you are trying to get patches into the upstream kernel. I'm not
>> obliged to do your homework for you. I might be wrong, and you can
>> prove me wrong.
>
> Larry's patches do not do what you propose they should do, so why
> would he have to benchmark your idea?

My (and AFAICT Pekka's) suggestion was to use unconditional kzfree()
in the few places where it matters: crypto/WEP key and input stream
freeing.

His counter-argument was that it is unacceptable overhead - without
any supporting data. I dont think the overhead is a problem in those
cases (without any supporting data either).

Obviously the argument is best settled by measurements. Done by
whoever wants to push this code.

Ingo