O_DIRECT splice from PCI-resident buffer to filesystem

From: Steve Rottinger
Date: Fri May 29 2009 - 14:57:22 EST

Hi,

After some work, and kernel hacking, and thanks to Jens'
O_DIRECT/blockio splicing
patch, I have been successful in using splice to transfer data directly
from a buffer
resident on a PCI device to a raw disk partition, with zero copies. Great!
Can anyone tell me if it is feasible to transfer data in the same way,
using splice
to a file, on a filesystem, instead of a raw block device with zero
copies? Looking at
the code, it appears that the data is copied using memcpy, no matter what.

Thanks,

-Steve