Re: Who's responsible for configuring CLS on a cardbus device?

From: Kenji Kaneshige
Date: Tue May 26 2009 - 20:23:23 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
Hello,

Robert Hancock wrote:
Alan Cox wrote:
Currently its handled by pci_set_mwi() but there isn't actually a more
direct way to do this.

Thanks Alan.

Yeah, I guess the assumption is that unless the device is using MWI it
doesn't care about cache line size. However, in the case of the sata_sil
controllers (and possibly other devices), the device cares about it for
other purposes (I think it's FIFO handling in this case).

Maybe we should just be setting the cache line size somewhere more
basic, like pci_set_master or something?

Hmmm... given that it is something which is usually handled by the
system firmware, wouldn't it be more fitting to configure it from pci
hotplug code?

I don't know cardbus devices at all, but Standard Hot-Plug Controller
driver ('shpchp') and PCI Express Hot-Plug controller driver ('pciehp')
configures cache line size of hot-added device. The cache line size is
gotten from firmware through ACPI _HPP or _HPX method.

Thanks,
Kenji Kaneshige