Re: [linux-pm] [TuxOnIce-devel] [RFC] TuxOnIce

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Tue May 26 2009 - 20:03:24 EST

Hi.

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 17:56 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2009, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
>
> > USB devices ought to be able to do _something_ though - I have a Dvico
> > Dual Digital 4 card
>
> What is that?

It's a dual digital TV tuner that includes an IR receiver. It plugs into
a PCI slot, but registers two USB devices and an input driver.

> > that is forcing me to shutdown X, mythtv-backend,
> > pulse audio and lirc at the moment so that I can rmmod it while
> > hibernating. That ought not be necessary. I'm sure there are good
> > technical reasons why it is necessary at the mooment, but it shouldn't
> > be that way - even if it just does the bare minimum required to avoid
> > requiring the closing of files and the unload.
>
> Probably the driver's author just never got around to adding support
> for suspend/resume. Which driver is it? What happens if you don't
> rmmod it?

The hard drive on that box died on me and I'm just about to install a
new one so I can only say from memory right now. I think I'd better wait
until I do the reinstall before I say too much. I do believe you're
right though - I took a brief look and think there was no suspend or
resume support.

I'll get back to you as soon as I have more info - thanks for taking an
interest!

Regards,

Nigel