Re: [benchmark] 1% performance overhead of paravirt_ops on nativekernels

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue May 26 2009 - 14:42:34 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
I did more 'perf stat mmap-perf 1' measurements (bound to a single core, running single thread - to exclude cross-CPU noise), which in essence measures CONFIG_PARAVIRT=y overhead on native kernels:

Thanks for taking the time to make these measurements. You'll agree they're much better numbers than the last time you ran these tests?

Performance counter stats for './mmap-perf':

[vanilla] [PARAVIRT=y]

1230.805297 1242.828348 task clock ticks (msecs) + 0.97%
3602663413 3637329004 CPU cycles (events) + 0.96%
1927074043 1958330813 instructions (events) + 1.62%

That's around 1% on really fast hardware (Core2 E6800 @ 2.93 GHz, 4MB L2 cache), i.e. still significant overhead. Distros generally enable CONFIG_PARAVIRT, even though a large majority of users never actually runs them as Xen guests.

Did you do only a single run, or is this the result of multiple runs? If so, what was your procedure? How did you control for page placement/cache effects/other boot-to-boot variations?

Your numbers are not dissimilar to my measurements, but I also saw up to 1% performance improvement vs native from boot to boot (I saw up to 10% reduction of cache misses with pvops, possibly because of its de-inlining effects).

I also saw about 1% boot to boot variation with the non-pvops kernel.

While I think pvops does add *some* overhead, I think the absolute magnitude is swamped in the noise. The best we can say is "somewhere under 1% on modern hardware".

Are there plans to analyze and fix this overhead too, beyond the paravirt-spinlocks overhead you analyzed? (Note that i had CONFIG_PARAVIRT_SPINLOCKS disabled in this test.)

I think only those users should get overhead who actually run such kernels in a virtualized environment.

I cannot cite a single other kernel feature that has so much performance impact when runtime-disabled. For example, an often cited bloat and overhead source is CONFIG_SECURITY=y.

Your particular benchmark does many, many mmap/mprotect/munmap/mremap calls, and takes a lot of pagefaults. That's going to hit the hot path with lots of pte updates and so on, but very few security hooks. How does it compare with a more balanced workload?

Its runtime overhead (same system, same workload) is:

[vanilla] [SECURITY=y]

1219.652255 1230.805297 task clock ticks (msecs) + 0.91%
3574548461 3602663413 CPU cycles (events) + 0.78%
1915177924 1927074043 instructions (events) + 0.62%

( With the difference that the distros that enable CONFIG_SECURITY=y
tend to install and use at least one security module by default. )

So everyone who runs a CONFIG_PARAVIRT=y distro kernel has 1% of overhead in this mmap-test workload - even if no Xen is used on that box, ever.

So you're saying that:

* CONFIG_SECURITY adding +0.91% to wallclock time is OK, but pvops
adding +0.97% is not,
* your test is sensitive enough to make 0.06% difference
significant, and
* this benchmark is representative enough of real workloads that its
results are overall meaningful?

Config attached.

Is this derived from a RH distro config?