Re: [TuxOnIce-devel] [RFC] TuxOnIce

From: Oliver Neukum
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 18:29:16 EST

Am Montag, 25. Mai 2009 23:39:17 schrieb Nigel Cunningham:
> > If there's not enough swap available, swsusp should freeze, realize
> > there's no swap, unfreeze and continue. I do not see reliability
> > problem there.
>
> If there's not enough storage available (I'm also thinking of the file
> allocator Oliver wants), freeing some memory may get you in a position

No, I do want a dedicated partition. Going to a filesystem is just hiding
the problem. Filesystems can return -ENOSPC.
I also want my sytem to reliably hibernate if the filesystem to hold
the image happens to be remounted ro or to be undergoing a filesystem
check.

For full reliability you simply need a reservation. In addition that's
the fastest solution, too. A simple linear write to an unfragmented
area.
The typical system today has three orders of magnitude more disk
than ram. Do you really have a sytem you want to hibernate that has
less than 2two orders of magnitude more disk than ram?

Regards
Oliver