Re: Broken ARM (and powerpc ?) futex wrt memory barriers

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 17:58:37 EST

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 05:45:33PM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> I think we also have to deal with futexes. See
> arch/arm/include/asm/futex.h :
>
> 1 -
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_SMP
>
> #include <asm-generic/futex.h>
>
> #else /* !SMP, we can work around lack of atomic ops by disabling
> preemption */
>
> (arm-specific code here, seems to deal with futexes)
>
> #endif
>
> -> is it just me or this ifdef condition is the exact opposite of what
> it should be ? I thought those generic futexes were for UP-only
> systems...

No, it is correct. Look deeper - the generic stuff implements a whole
load of futex stuff as returning -ENOSYS - it's not implemented.

What you see in ARM is the UP code implementing the set/add/or/andn/xor
cmpxchg operations. However, this code is most certainly not SMP safe
(and I couldn't persuade the folk writing it to come up with a SMP
version.) So, on ARM futex is supported on UP systems, but not SMP
systems until someone gets around to fixing this.