Question on the removable flag of USB devices

From: RogÃrio Brito
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 12:46:14 EST

Dear Alan,

Since we're talking about USB devices, I would like to ask you one
thing: I have some USB HD enclosures and I want to mount them with
pmount, for instance.

Unfortunately, pmount won't allow the user to mount devices if it has
the removable flag set to 0.

For instance, here is one of my external drives:

rbrito@chagas:~$ cat /sys/block/sda/removable
0
rbrito@chagas:~$

The question is: how are devices determined to be removable or not?
Sorry if this question is too naive.

Thanks,

--
RogÃrio Brito : rbrito@{mackenzie,ime.usp}.br : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8