Re: Realtek 8168D: no active link (2.6.29.2)

From: Jonathan Woithe
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 06:15:11 EST

Hi

Sorry for the delay in getting this done.

> Jonathan Woithe <jwoithe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> :
> [...]
> > As I mentioned, if there are other tests you want me to do just drop me a
> > line.
>
> You may see if you can force the link settings with the patches #2 and #3 at
> http://userweb.kernel.org/~romieu/r8169/2.6.30-rc6/20090519/

As far as I can tell, with these 3 patches applied against 2.6.30-rc6 I can
force the link settings:

ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 10
- 10 Mbps speed set

ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 100
- 100 Mbps speed achieved

ethtool -s eth0 autoneg on speed 1000
- 1000 Mbps speed attained

The duplex setting might not be having an effect though since my switch's
FDx (full duplex) LED was extinguished for both the 10 and 100 Mbps cases
above. Explicitly setting the duplex flag using

ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 100 duplex full

didn't make any difference - the FDx LED remained off. For completeness I
also tried

ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 100 duplex half

and this caused no change compared to the "duplex full" case above.
Restoring autoneg made the FDx LED return (along with 1000 Mbps speed).

Regards
jonathan