Re: [BUG FIX] Make x86_32 uni-processor Atomic ops, Atomic

From: Michael S. Zick
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 08:27:42 EST

On Sat May 23 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Hi Harald,
>
> It looks like there might be a problem with the C7-M ... Michael reports
> that if he sets LOCK_PREFIX to "lock;" it works, but that shouldn't be
> necessary for a uniprocessor.
>
> I'm wondering if we have to revive the OOSTORE hack, or some other
> workaround. It is of course hard for me to track this down since (a) I
> don't have access to the CPU documentation, and (b) I work for Intel
> now, which limits the amount of time I can realistically spend on this.

@hpa - I still like your suggestion that it is only one (or a few)
uses of atomic ops that is incorrect and in general atomic ops
should compile away on uni-processor.

Let me translate the findings (see further in the included post) -
The C7-M/CN896 (no tech manual released for CN896 yet) and
the C7-M/CX700 (tech manual released since drivers written)

*) I never tested -09143lk on the C7-M/CN896 because -09143 did
not fail all day (a record for 2.6.30 at the moment).

*) The difference on the C7-M/CX700 between the -09143 and -09143lk
I consider significant.

***) But, keep in mind, just because the system chip set is different,
there are other unknowns - -
We can *not* say at the moment that both machines where using the same
execution paths - even though the binaries where identical.

Also, there where probably different external modules loaded in the
two runs - not many, mostly things are built-in.

The truly significant point on the C7-M/CX700 running -09143lk was that
when the echi-hcd driver got hung in its failure loop, generating a
flood of messages - it did not take down or lock the kernel.

I consider this "forward progress" - it should be possible to build-in
the lock-dep checkers and get something in the message buffer -
rather than just have the machine halt. Its hard to debug a halted
machine with only a glowing power-on light for feed-back. ;)

Mike