Re: "make config" to another architecture doesn't relinkinclude/asm

From: Robert P. J. Day
Date: Fri May 22 2009 - 15:37:49 EST

On Fri, 22 May 2009, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > should i expect this with a fresh tree on x86_64?
> >
> > $ make distclean
> > $ make defconfig
> > $ make modules_prepare
> > $ ls -l include/asm
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 rpjday rpjday 7 2009-05-22 12:24 asm -> asm-x86
> > $
> >
> > oh, wait, i changed my mind, i want to switch architectures so start
> > over:
> >
> > $ make clean
> > $ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- omap3_beagle_defconfig
> > $ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- uImage
> > scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/arm/Kconfig
> > include/config/auto.conf:15:warning: symbol value
> > 'arch/x86/configs/x86_64_defconfig' invalid for ARCH_DEFCONFIG
> > CHK include/linux/version.h
> > make[1]: `include/asm-arm/mach-types.h' is up to date.
> > CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
> > UPD include/linux/utsrelease.h
> > ERROR: the symlink include/asm points to asm-x86 but asm-arm was expected
> > set ARCH or save .config and run 'make mrproper' to fix it
> > make: *** [include/asm] Error 1
> >
> > $ ls -l include/asm
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 rpjday rpjday 7 2009-05-22 12:24 include/asm -> asm-x86
> > $
> >
> > shouldn't it be sufficient that, if i do another "make ??_defconfig"
> > to another architecture, all traces of the previous configure are
> > erased and include/asm should be relinked automatically?
> >
> Does "make distclean" (or maybe "make mrproper") get you to really clean
> status?

yes, but the issue is that "make clean" should still have the same
effect WRT to resetting that symlink, especially since the error
message tells the user to set ARCH and the user (i.e., me) *has* set
ARCH. put another way, if i do a config with a specific setting for
ARCH, it seems non-intuitive to *not* reset the symlink representing
that architecture.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday