Re: inotify limits - thousands (tens of thousands?) of watches

From: Matthias Kaehlcke
Date: Wed May 20 2009 - 06:04:41 EST

El Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:26:57AM +0200 Marcin Krol ha dit:

> First, apols for using up bandwidth, but I honestly found no other place
> where I can ask about this (and get meaningful reply).
>
> I'm not a kernel programmer, but I want to develop a program that would
> watch modifications in *all* user directories on a busy server using
> inotify.
>
> This is for high-availability purposes - events would be collected and
> once every several minutes changed dirs would be rsync'ed to failover
> server or smth like that would be done.
>
> As inotify watches particular directory and not its subdirs, I would
> have to watch all directories.
>
> This means I would have to create thousands or even tens of thousands of
> inotify watches.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. is it safe? that is, will it not lock the kernel up, or cause
> excessive memory consumption?
>
> 2. is it economic in terms of CPU time and RAM? I have no idea how to
> even measure such a thing happening in the kernel..

i can't answer your question whether inotify scales or not, but maybe
DRBD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRBD) could be an alternative
approach for your problem

--
Matthias Kaehlcke
Embedded Linux Engineer

Me lo contaron y lo olvidé, lo vi y lo entendí, lo hice y lo aprendí
(Confucio)
.''`.
using free software / Debian GNU/Linux | http://debian.org : :' :
`. `'`
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 47D8E5D4 `-