Re: Houston, we have a problem: big file copying, USB, externaldisks

From: Ralf Hildebrandt
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 08:08:30 EST

* John Zupfel <jzupfel@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Are recent kernels (since somewhere around 2.6.27 - 2.6.28)
> choking on big file copying?
>

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/197762?comments=all

Does this happen AFTER a suspend/hibernate or ALL THE TIME?

> > No, it's not Ubuntu specific and Canonical didn't cause it.
> >
> > Right now I'm copying between two SATA drives, connected to my PC via
> > eSATA. So far a lousy 600MB has been copied and I'm already down to
> > 5MB/s and falling.
> >
> > Here is what I know about the problem:
> >
> > It affects ALL hardware.
> >
> > It affects ALL file copying connections to varying degrees: USB,
> > network, SATA/eSATA.
> >
> > In some instances, it also affects multitasking, all but locking the
> > computer up despite little to no CPU use in System Monitor.
> >
> > There are no error logs, messages or anything else that occur when the
> > problem is happening.
> >
> > In my experience, if you test for the problem and nothing seems to be
> > wrong, then that's because you aren't copying enough data, you don't
> > know how fast your hardware should be copying files, or you are lucky
> > enough to only be subtly affected that time. Try copying more multi-
> > gigabytes of data, several times and see if you can't get wildly
> > different durations for the same data size. As I state above, all
> > hardware I have tested is affected to varying degrees, some hardware
> > shows minor performance degradation over time, some hardware is all but
> > useless for file copying.
> >
> > If you ask me, it's either the scheduler (GUI lockups with no CPU usage
> > makes me think this) or whatever performs the actual file copy process.
> > It's definitely not a USB problem because it affects network copying
> > too.
>

> --

Ralf Hildebrandt
GeschÃftsbereich IT | Abteilung Netzwerk
Charità - UniversitÃtsmedizin Berlin
Campus Benjamin Franklin
Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12200 Berlin
Tel. +49 30 450 570 155 | Fax: +49 30 450 570 962
Ralf.Hildebrandt@xxxxxxxxxx | http://www.charite.de