Re: s2disk hangs with kernel >=2.6.29, SATA, Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H(bisected)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat May 16 2009 - 23:09:13 EST

Richard Atterer wrote:
Hello,

I have had problems using s2disk starting sometime before 2.6.29 (and continuing up until now, 2.6.30-rc6), but only got around to bisecting the issue now.

The symptom is as follows: When I start s2disk (by running the hibernate command), the system switches to the console and prints "s2disk: Snapshotting system". The cursor freezes for a moment, I hear the noise that my DVD writer makes when it is reset, the lights of my USB hub go off and on again. Then the cursor continues to blink and nothing more happens, the system just hangs.

I have a Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H motherboard with two disks attached: One SATA disk containing Linux, and one older PATA disk with data. AHCI is enabled in the BIOS.

The patch that causes the hang is 295f00042aaf6b553b5f37348f89bab463d4a469:
ide: don't execute the next queued command from the hard-IRQ context (v2)

Any help with this problem would be very much appreciated!

Does it work if you disable CONFIG_IDE, and use only CONFIG_ATA for PATA?

Jeff