Re: unresponsiveness on linux desktop during file copy

From: Satish Eerpini
Date: Sat May 16 2009 - 10:25:33 EST

> Which kernel version? If it's something recent, your programs may be
> getting swapped out due to a flaw in the latest kernels, where it
> accidentally prefers caching file data over mapped pages. If that's
> the case, Rik (cc:d) is working on patches to address the issue, and
> may appreciate another tester.

well I went through http://kerneltrap.org/node/3000 on kerneltrap ,
which I think is what you are pointing out here. Well I checked the
"swappiness" parameter on my system and it is set to 60 , and bravely
I changed it to '0', while the system appeared to have become a lot
more responsive, I see no difference in the statistics:

Linux 2.6.29.1 (satish) 05/16/2009

07:49:43 PM CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
07:49:46 PM all 7.30 0.00 8.25 40.00
0.00 44.44
07:49:49 PM all 7.21 0.00 9.40 36.36
0.00 47.02