Re: suspending machine from kernel (was Re: [linux-pm] [RFC] whydo we need run disk sync before entering S3)

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Fri May 15 2009 - 17:15:33 EST

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > thinkpad-acpi receives some critical alarms from the firmware, for which the
> > recommended action by the vendor is to go into S3 immediately. There is
> > also one which requires S4 as the recommended damage control measure.
>
> While s2ram should always work on hardware that supports it (zaurus),
> S4 is more tricky. It needs swap to be configured, and userspace
> cooperation in uswsusp case.

Yeah, this really calls for issuing some sort of event to userspace that has
the "emergency" connotation, so that desktop enviromnents don't start doing
retarted things like asking the user stupid questions when the machine has
30 seconds left of battery juice, or got waken up from S3 due to a
critically hot thermal alarm.

> I guess sending signal to init would be right solution in that
> case. (ACPI already does that on overheat.)

I will look into this.

Henrique Holschuh