hibernate vs. WoL

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Fri May 15 2009 - 10:03:25 EST

Hi,

According to pm.h one should enable wakup events in the suspend() and
poweroff() callbacks.

However, poweroff is not called for the 'shutdown' or 'restart'
hibernate methods. This seems problematic, since then with proper
drivers platforms that have no 'platform' suspend method then cannot WoL
or anything like that (well, for 'restart' that isn't very relevant).

The only way to hack around that seems to be to implement the
dev->driver->shutdown method, but I don't think that is intended? On the
other hand calling both ->shutdown and ->poweroff seems problematic.

Right now what I'm trying to do is preserve a wireless connection across
hibernate. This is possible by telling the AP that we're asleep, in
which case it will buffer frames for us (it may eventually kick us off
anyway, but that's ok, without telling it we're asleep I don't even
survive a 'reboot' method cycle).

Also, shouldn't it be possible to WoL while your machine is shut down?
How do you program that?

johannes