Re: [patch 0/3] make splice more generic

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Thu May 14 2009 - 16:27:39 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
> SPLICE_F_MOVE is a soft flag in that it will move if it
> can, but not fail if it can't.

According to local man page, it's not even that.

SPLICE_F_MOVE [...] The initial implementation of this flag was buggy:
therefore starting in Linux 2.6.21 it is a *no-op*
(but is still permitted in a splice() call); in the
future, a correct implementation may be restored.

> Perhaps we should add a flag that does pass back an error if we
> can't just move pages around, SPLICE_F_STRICT or something like
> that.

What should it do in cases where the kernel would choose to copy data,
i.e. data that isn't a whole page?

-- Jamie