Re: [Patch 11/12] ftrace plugin for kernel symbol tracingusingHWBreakpoint interfaces - v4

From: K.Prasad
Date: Tue May 12 2009 - 16:03:22 EST

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 05:15:05PM +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 07:49:44PM +0530, K.Prasad wrote:

> > > It means that each time your tracer is selected, it will perform a selftest.
> > > I think we only need this selftest once during the boot.
> > > I would rather see that in the real selftest callback (trace_selftest_startup_kysm).

> > The above check will help prevent a re-run of the test everytime init is
> > executed.
> >
> > A part of the selftest was kept in trace_ksym.c (and hence in
> > ksym_trace_init()) in order to use functions local to this file, such as
> > process_new_ksym_entry().
>

> Ok.
> May be you could just compute your selftests on the breakpoint themselves,
> not on the entries in the ring buffer.
>
> That's what do other tracers because it's usually convenient, but the main
> focuse is the event itself, because the ring buffer is already tested.
> The only thing you need to test is the hardware breakpoint triggering, then
> you wouldn't need anymore the trace_selftest.c helpers and you could
> implement your selftest directly in your tracer file.
>
> I remember such thing has been discussed recently but I'm not sure
> whether it concerned the kprobe tracer or yours.

I agree that the ring buffer infrastructure need not be tested itself,
but to just check the trigger of HW Breakpoint without populating the
ring buffer will need a new breakpoint handler defined exclusively for
startup self-test, or additional checks in ksym_hbp_handler() that
executes everytime for normal exceptions too.

I will move all code from ksym_trace_init() to
trace_selftest_startup_kysm() though.

Thanks,
K.Prasad