Re: [RFC] convert ftrace syscall tracer to TRACE_EVENT()

From: Jason Baron
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 18:20:22 EST

On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 10:37:37AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> I'm not sure about the implementation as you've posted it though:
>
> Firstly, it adds two new tracepoints to every system call. That is
> unnecessary - we already have the TIF flag based callbacks, and we
> can use the existing syscall attributes table to get to tracepoints
> - without slow down (or impacting) the fast path in any way.
>
> Secondly, we should reuse the information we get in SYSCALL_DEFINE,
> to construct the TRACE_EVENT tracepoints directly - without having
> to list all syscalls again in a separate file.
>
> Ingo

ok, i've been playing around with this a bit...by adding a few macros to
include/trace/syscalls.h (conceptually in addition to the previous patch i
posted), I can address #1. For example, for getpid() I did:

+#define MAX_SYS_ARGS 10
+
+#define create_syscall_case_args0(sysnr, regs, sysname) \
+ case sysnr: \
+ trace_sysenter_##sysname(); \
+ break;
+
+#define create_syscall_case_args1(sysnr, regs, sysname) \
+ case sysnr: \
+ syscall_get_arguments(current, regs, 0, 1, sys_args); \
+ trace_sysenter_#sysname((meta->types[0])sys_args[0]); \
+ break;
+
+#define define_syscall_tracepoints() \
+ DEFINE_TRACE(sysenter_getpid);
+
+#define wrapper_syscall_tracepoints_enter(regs) \
+do { \
+ int syscall_nr; \
+ long sys_args[MAX_SYS_ARGS]; \
+ struct syscall_metadata *meta; \
+ \
+ syscall_nr = syscall_get_nr(current, regs); \
+ meta = syscall_nr_to_meta(syscall_nr); \
+ switch (syscall_nr) { \
+ create_syscall_case_args0(__NR_getpid, regs, getpid);\
+ } \
+} while (0)

This should extend to the rest of the syscalls.

Then, in arch/x86/kernel/ptrace.c, i just add:

if (unlikely(test_thread_flag(TIF_SYSCALL_FTRACE)))
- ftrace_syscall_enter(regs);
+ wrapper_syscall_tracepoints_enter(regs);

Regarding issue #2, the '__SYSCALL_DEFINEx()' macros are expanding in
the context of the various .c source files that define the system calls.
Thus, I'm not sure how we are going to reference them in
arch/x86/kernel/ptrace.c. Also, by not defining the tracepoints in a .h
file, modules and other code that want to make use of these tracepoints
are going to have a harder time. Further, there has been mention in this
thread of exceptions that some of the syscalls are going to create. I
think it would be easier to follow the exceptions if they are contained
in 1 file, rather than scattered around the code.

thanks,

-Jason