Re: [RFC] fiemap tester

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 13:17:56 EST

On Mon, 11 May 2009 05:46:39 -0400 Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 04:13:18PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 May 2009 15:16:49 -0400
> > Josef Bacik <josef@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Here is small little program which I and Eric have been working on this week to
> > > better test FIEMAP
> >
> > I for one wouldn't complain were someone to create
> > Documentation/fs/tests/ and to then start filling it with stuff.
>
> Why oh why do people think Documentation/ is a good place for code?

I don't think anyone does. But it's better than nothing.

> tests/ would be a much better place :)

Yup.

> Last time I brought the idea of a small in-tree test harness up at KS
> people weren't too fond of it, but if we get more backing now we could
> try it, otherwise we can just stick it into xfsqa which will hopefully
> soon be generalized to a general fs QA suite.

Well Sam had all this done in his tree six-odd months ago - moved all
the compileable stuff out of Documentation/ and into tests/ and we'd
shaken out pretty much all the problems I think. But then he ran into
a busy spot and it didn't quite get finished and merged.

Hopefully that will all come back again sometime. Until then, we keep
on plugging away with the current setup.