Re: [patch 08/11 -mmotm] oom: invoke oom killer for __GFP_NOFAIL

From: David Rientjes
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 04:49:25 EST

On Mon, 11 May 2009, Minchan Kim wrote:

> I agree KOSAKI's opinion.
> We already have a different flags.
>
> * __GFP_REPEAT: Try hard to allocate the memory, but the allocation attempt
> * _might_ fail. This depends upon the particular VM implementation.
> *
> * __GFP_NOFAIL: The VM implementation _must_ retry infinitely: the caller
> * cannot handle allocation failures.
>
> When we use __GFP_NOFAIL, we always have to use it carefully.
> If you change the meaning of __GFP_NOFAIL, the intension of them who have been used it carefully may be lost. It's my concern.

You pointed out yourself that __GFP_NOFAIL allocations can fail by way of
having alloc_pages() return NULL even without attempting to free memory by
the oom killer for order > PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER. The definition you
posted above is unambiguous to me, it means we must retry infinitely. And
that's very stupid if we are going to neglect to free memory by killing a
task and relying solely on reclaim which may not make any progress.