Re: [patch 00/13] devtmpfs patches

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat May 09 2009 - 11:49:33 EST

On Sat, 9 May 2009 08:08:53 -0700
Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Well, guess you meant the opposite ;-)
>
> Heh, yes, sorry about that. It makes booting faster :)

.. and I don't buy that.

The only argument I've heard is "oh but it's hard". No it's not.
The other argument is "but for more partitions we get other device
numbers"... you know what, that's easy to fix. Just make the 32 bit dev
number consistent. Few lines of code I bet, and it is benefit for
everyone to do that....

Beyond that... this is not needed... but at least call it "devfs".. for
what it is.

(and yes there is very obvious irony)

visit http://www.lesswatts.org