Re: [RFC 1/1] seccomp: Add bitmask of allowed system calls.

From: James Morris
Date: Thu May 07 2009 - 22:38:38 EST

On Fri, 8 May 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > In general, I believe that ftrace based solutions cannot safely
> > validate arguments which are in user-space memory when multiple
> > threads could be racing to change the memory between ftrace and
> > the eventual copy_from_user. Because of this, many useful
> > arguments (such as the sockaddr to connect, the filename to open
> > etc) are out of reach. LSM hooks appear to be the best way to
> > impose limits in such cases. (Which we are also experimenting
> > with).
>
> That assessment is incorrect, there's no difference between safety
> here really.
>
> LSM cannot magically inspect user-space memory either when multiple
> threads may access it. The point would be to define filters for
> system call _arguments_, which are inherently thread-local and safe.

LSM hooks are placed so that they can access objects safely, e.g. after
copy_from_user() and with all apropriate kernel locks for that object
held, and also with all security-relevant information available for the
particular operation.

You cannot do this with system call interception: it's an inherently racy
and limited mechanism (and very well known for being so).

I'm concerned that we're seeing yet another security scheme being designed
on the fly, without a well-formed threat model, and without taking into
account lessons learned from the seemingly endless parade of similar,
failed schemes.

Please refer to (for example):

- "Traps and Pitfalls: Practical Problems in System Call Interposition
Based Security Tools" by Tal Garfinkel.

http://www.stanford.edu/~talg/papers/traps/abstract.html

- "Exploiting Concurrency Vulnerabilities in System Call Wrappers" by
Robert Watson.

http://www.watson.org/~robert/2007woot/

--
James Morris