Re: Fusion-IO

From: Clive Wagenaar
Date: Wed May 06 2009 - 17:45:09 EST

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 12:50 +0100, Tony Vroon wrote:

I ended up with a OCZ Vertex 120G SDD for under â400, 200MB/s read, they
seem very active with their firmware updates, also very responsive to
user feedback.
The drive is probably a bit slower than the x25-m, but then a lot
cheaper and they seem alot more customer focused and should support trim
before Intel on the x25 drives

It arrived today, Ubuntu 9.04 boots in 11 seconds on bootchart and 15
seconds to get into GDM with Arora browser at google homepage.
Best I got with 7200 Seagate Barracuda drive was 17 seconds.
As a whole desktop is very response for now.
Will be fine as 120G drive and 9.04 only uses 4G on my setup.
I will reflash if its slows down before 'trim' happen between Ocz and
Linux.

Within the next 2 weeks they will be releasing new firmware that will
support the trim ATA 'standard' for the linux kernel.
They have a tool/exe the runs under 32 windows to trim the drive for
windows file-systems, but its not integrated into Windows as they
waiting, zzz, for MS to implement it which could be window 7 release, or
maybe only W7 + SP1. (Does not help that the ATA standard is not yet
approved). Their Windows exe runs from within widoews, but obviously
only trims windows filesystems

Tony, the main forum staff chap, indicates native linux support soon:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55632&highlight=trim+linux

Snip:
Mid May or earlier we should see a new FW with native Linux TRIM for
beta testing

I will be testing it and have plenty of time to test for Linux kernel
devs or OCZ, this is why I bought the drive .

If I can help test trim under Linux, it would be my pleasure.

--
clivewagenaar@xxxxxxxxx

System Powered by:
Ubuntu/Debian/Gnu/Linux