Re: [patch] random: make get_random_int() more random

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Wed May 06 2009 - 17:14:41 EST

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 10:51:45PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> Linus's patch is a marked improvement, and it is really what we need
> here mostly.

No one's arguing that it isn't an improvement. But -15 years of
research- points to MD4 (let alone **half**MD4) being insufficient. To
counter that, two non-cryptanalysts have presented nothing beyond "it
seems strong enough to me" and "it passes a meaningless test". Pardon
me if I'm not satisfied by that.

> We cannot afford true physical randomness (it's too expensive to get
> and not all hw has it), and even a 'good' PRNG is pretty expensive.

And what of my suggestion (multiple times now) to replace halfMD4 with
SHA1? Or AES. Or any cryptographic primitive that's not known to be
completely worthless?