Re: [patch] random: make get_random_int() more random

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Wed May 06 2009 - 16:47:38 EST

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 10:09:54PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> I then ran the FIPS randomness test over the first 20,000 bits [2.5K
> data], which it passed:

That's proves nothing except that you have no idea what you're talking
about. People regularly break things that FIPS gives flying colors.
FIPS is nothing but a statistical sanity-check.

Do you need this to be publicly broken again by someone who actually knows
something about cryptanalysis before you'll accept that it's a bad
idea? If so, then please move the code out of random.c, so that I
don't have to share in your embarassment a second time.