Re: linux-next: manual merge of the i2c tree with the arm-currenttree

From: Russell King
Date: Wed May 06 2009 - 15:05:06 EST

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 10:31:38AM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> I don't know exactly how defconfigs are handled, but I can imagine that
> the responsible developer is running "make oldconfig" on the system in
> question from times to times and copying the result back to the
> defconfig file. The purpose of updating defconfig files is to make
> configuration option renames transparent.

The big problem is that everyone 'make oldconfig' is done, the entire
config file essentially gets re-sorted into some other random order,
and the changes are massive.

If a platform maintainer does this, and the result is committed, and
some other person has done some small sed-based updates to the defconfigs,
the result is _total_ chaos.

That's why I'm arguing for my approach. That way, platform maintainers
stand a better chance of seeing what happens to their defconfig files
and there's a substantially better chance of some coordination of those
changes (that is if the arch maintainer is doing their job properly.)

--
Russell King
maintainer of: